Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Who goes on vacation with their parents anymore?

It's interesting that you should ask. I do. Apparently I'm one of the only people that does.

In fact, I went on two vacations in two months with my family. What did I learn? A few things actually. First of all, I'm waayyyy too old for Disney World...at least I'm too old to be at Disney World with my parents and my little brother. (sidenote: Everyone tells me that I should start referring to LJ as my "younger" brother instead of "little" brother since he has 4 inches and about 90 lbs on me.) We spent five days booking it around Mickey town, eating our faces off, and generally getting on eachother's nerves. We all agreed that maybe, after 20 years of going on the same vacation, it might be time to try something new.

Lesson #2 came on January 3rd when Dad took my older brother Jay and I to West Palm Beach for the annual Silver Sailfish Derby. I had higher expectations for this trip since fishing is something I like to do, there was competition involved, and I had a formidable drinking ally in brother Jay. Most of my hopes for vacation bliss were dashed when we hit 6-8 foot seas and raging winds off the coast of Florida. There were no fish, I was seasick, and the bar at our hotel closed at ten. I came away with the understanding that voluntarily getting the bejesus kicked out of me for two days is no longer something I really like to do. Just look at what a toll it took on Jay... If you're wondering why there are no pictures of me that's because I was lying on the deck for most of the two days I "fished."

We did all clean up enough to attend the banquet at the very la ti da Sailfish Club in Palm Beach with cocktails and shrimp as far as the eye could see. The Sarge actually does clean up pretty nice. Too bad they don't give out a plaque for best looking crew.

Overall, I learned that I like my family. We get along better now than when my siblings and I were in our angsty teenager phases. However, vacations at this point in my life should be taken with my friends. These are people who don't have high expectations of me when I'm on vacation. These people won't expect me to get up before 7 to hit the parks before the crowds or to get the boat going so we can pick up bait. Best of all, none of my friends would consistently ask me if I really think having one more Jack and Coke is a good idea. Of course it's a good idea Dad, I'm on vacation and you're driving.

5 comments:

Andrews said...

Thanks for the positive reinforcement Laura!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

You know i would never tell you that you've had enough...then again i think that i could have used that advice a couple of times.

Also, if it makes you feel better, i still go on vacation with my family...but it has expanded to be family and friends over the years. lots of fun.
hmm...actually, last year my younger brother and i couldn't make it and it pretty much was just all of our friends with my parents and older brother...i think they are trying to phase me out

Unknown said...

omg, you guys aren't going to disney world anymore??? wow, this is a radical revelation. my understanding of the world is shaken... shattered even. you better still go to the fishing tournaments!

cecilia said...

i know, will disneyworld even exist anymore if the andrews family doesn't visit every year?