Monday, January 29, 2007

What's worth reading right now?



Don't let the smiles fool you. Book clubs are serious business.


I'm officially starting a book club. I think there are a variety of motivations behind it. First, I like to read. Second, I think it will be a way to feel somewhat cultural and intellectual while still sitting around with friends and drinking. Third...well there isn't really a third reason. However, starting a book club requires having at least a few books that I want to read. I know these books are out there but I don't really have any pinging on my radar right now. Currently I'm trading back and forth between The Memory Keeper's Daughter and a Noam Chomsky book. Please Please leave me some comments with books that you guys have read or have wanted to read lately. I'm sure Alex will say something crass but I'm hoping the rest of you can help a sistah out.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

How about a group of books specifically set in the U.K.?

1. "Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell" by Susanna Clarke - good read, a history of English magic.

2. "The Paradise War (Song of Albion, Book 1)" by Stephen R. Lawhead - pretty good series about a modern day Englishman who is transported to Celtic Scotland.

3 "The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, Book 1)" by Philip Pullman - Was meant as a childrens book, but is also a pretty entertaining series for adults.

laura said...

I will possibly beat superstar to the punch and suggest the year of magical thinking (joan didion), and if thats been done just anything by Helen Fielding.( I mean if you want to have smiles like those ladies that is...read the latter.. not the former.)

cecilia said...

yay, laura ended up liking The Year of Magical Thinking(even though it is super depressing . . .). i think it would be a great book club selection-- thought it really captured the reality of the grieving process like nothing else i've read.

in the library the other day i saw Zadie Smith's On Beauty recommended as a book club selection. that's a good one . . . funny.

let's see, what else? currently i am reading the recommended The Sex Lives of Cannibals by J. Maarten Troost. hilarious and relevant to our 20something "what career?" lives.

AC/JC said...

Johathan Strange is a good book, slightly to long - As per comment above - But try the

Philip Pullman - His Dark Materials

It or they have won loads of prizes in Europe and has not really made it over the pond - Thats a book !

http://www.philip-pullman.com/pages/content/index.asp?PageID=36