Tuesday, January 19, 2010

What's the story with Brits and Hicks?

I have a new theory.

British people (the Irish and Scottish included) are obsessed with the...how do I say this...more "folksy" segments of the American populace.

Perhaps it has something to do with the more rigid class structure that exists over there. The Gosford Park, Upstairs/Downstairs, mentality which has been engrained into their culture over centuries has established a more strict delineation between classes and therefore a greater fascination with the other side when those same upstairs individuals find themselves in the great melting pot that is the U.S. of A.

Hillbillies, trailer trash, hicks. North, South, in between. If you're more familiar with God Save the Queen, than God Bless America, you're going to love them.

Case in point: My cell phone rings at work the other day. Seeing that it's my boyfriend, the love of my life, the one who never wants to disturb me at work, I pick up quickly.

Me: "Hi Honey"
CM: "Babe? Can you get online and buy some tickets for me!?"
Me: Relieved that it's not an emergency but now slightly confused. "Um...sure. What's up?"
CM: "Did you know that Larry the Cable Guy's coming to the TD Garden next week?"
Me: Getting nervous... "I think I saw that I guess. You want tickets?"
CM: " Yeah! Morris and I are going to dress up in plaid shirts with the sleeves cut off and hang out with all the hillbillies. It's gonna be excellent!"
Me: Relieved again that I'm not expected to attend, cringing at the thought of those outfits "Ok Babe. It looks like the tickets are 80 bucks after all the fees and stuff. Still interested?"
CM: "Damn straight!"

Seriously? My previously mild-mannered boyfriend is a fan of the Blue Collar Comedy Tour. Deep breath, it's not a deal-breaker.


No comments: