Friday, March 16, 2007

How does one file their taxes when working for Bossman? Pt. 2

After receiving a forwarded message from Bossman's accountant via Bossman, I was concerned that he was trying to pass on the responsibility of the aforementioned 1099 form to me. The email showed that Bossman had in fact discussed the situation with an accountant and contained links to info on filling out the 1099 as well as another form to apply for an employer identification number. In a passive aggressive, defensive manuever, I replied to said email saying "So I assume this means you're taking care of getting the form? Thanks so much for being on top of it. I'd like to have the form by March 23rd at the latest."

That was Wednesday. Today being Friday and still having gotten no response, I decided to revisit the issue while he smacked away on his morning pear.

FA: "What's the latest on my 1099 form?"
BM: "The accountant is sending me the form I have to fill out. I guess I also need need to apply for an Employer Identification Number."
FA: "Ok. So you're on top of it?"
BM: "Well, if you could look at that email and tell me what I have to do for that, it would really help me out."
FA: (holding my ground) " I took a quick look and all you have to do is fill out the form and send it in."
BM: "I have to mail it in? I thought I could do it over the phone."

Let's take a brief time-out to analyze the subtle nuances of that last statement. Saying that he thought he could do it over the phone proves that he did indeed read the email and the attachments. Therefore, I would hazard to guess that he read the email, decided he didn't really feel like doing it, and forwarded it to me. Was he trying to play dumb so that I would take a closer look at the form, fill it out for him, and call in the info? It's highly likely. Time in.

FA:(reopening the email) "Oh you're right. You can do it over the phone. I think the easiest thing to do is print out the form, fill it in, then call in the information."

Awkward silence as Bossman waits for me to add, "...or I could just do it for you..." which I don't.

BM: (pretending that this is the moment when he has to run out the door) "Ok. Well I have to run but I'll look into it."
FA: (highly skeptical and thinking about the email I will write later to follow up) "Sounds good. Have a good day."

1 comment:

Caroline Dixon said...

this man can do nothing unless you tell him to do it. wow. he is going to completely fall apart after you leave...