Sunday, November 29, 2009

Don't you love a flea market!?

I finally made my first trip to the storied Todd Farm Flea Market in Rowley a couple of weekends ago. Mom, Minna, and I ventured out there in the early, very frosty morning to find a couple of necessities for my new place.

At the top of my list was a drop leaf dining table that I could fold up against a wall like a console table most of the time but seat four people at when "entertaining." I was armed with a wish list of other items and measurements for some of the odd lonely nooks around the apartment.

This place was MUCH bigger than I anticipated. We got there as most of the vendors were setting up but I immediately knew I was going to be battling with myself to ignore the tschotchkes and focus on the big items I needed. I had a budget and I was going to stick to it gosh darn it.


Stay away from the kitschy vintage things...


Avoid the giant fringy items...


...and score! Pictured in situ here at home, I found this little beauty of a mahogany side table about 30 minutes in to the flea market. I even got the seller to take 5 bucks off. I was so proud of my self-control and success with the table that I allowed myself to head back to the guy with the tables full of cast iron wonderments.

First there was the 3ft high flamingo for $20 who has since been dubbed Bernard. I also snagged a $5 mermaid hook for towels in the bathroom.

I didn't end up finding my drop leaf table at the flea market but I did nab it a The Stock Exchange in Manchester that afternoon. Cramming all of my treasures into Mom's Pontiac for the trip back to Boston was interesting but well worth it!



No comments: