Friday, February 16, 2007

Do my friendships only exist in Cyberspace?

First of all, cheers to Caroline for turning me on to goodreads.com. As she put it, "it's facebook for library nerds." I could spend hours on this site looking at what people are reading, making comments, trying to remember books that I want to read, etc. etc. Go start your own profile and be my friend!

As I just finished browsing around this site and sprucing up my profile, I realized that I am becoming more and more attached to cyber interactions with my friends. I check the blogs of my friends like a maniac, I find myself spiraling through people's myspace pages looking at who knows who, and I live for checking that little map on the right to see how many people come to my blog and where they are. This eventually leads to cyber-envy. How does Jessie always come up with such a cool background on her myspace page? How can I get as many dots on my map as Alex? How come people have better taste in books than I do? See how I just asked you to be my friend on goodreads? I have a pathological need to expand my cyber-circle as much as possible in order to validate myself as a hip, popular, technologically cutting edge type person.

You can see how this becomes dangerous. I always knew that I had an addictive personality. However, this is the height of modern technology isn't it? People staying virtually connected despite being geographically separated. Good and bad I guess. There are the obvious benefits but what happens when I lose my job because of a lack of productivity? Sorry Bossman, no dry cleaning today, I had to update my blog...and no, I didn't pay the bills yet, I had to make up an evite for my cyber book club's first virtual meeting over ichat.

3 comments:

cecilia said...

sometimes i think i exist only in cyberspace. and then i wonder why i am still paying for groceries & rent.

Caroline Dixon said...

i know!! i feel this way too. like, the minute i signed up for goodreads, i felt obligated to read a book. even though my friends already know i don't read books. but now it was out there in cyberspace. which made it more real. ok back to work...

AC/JC said...

I still believe that Pixies run the internet and that my messages, once sent, are delivered by Pixie Taxi.
Cyberspace sis just the town they live in, its next to Rentham.